Copyright 2024 - CSIM - Asian Institute of Technology

CERT Summary CS-2000-03

   Aug 25, 2000

   Each quarter, the CERT Coordination Center (CERT/CC) issues the CERT
   Summary to draw attention to the types of attacks reported to our
   incident response team, as well as other noteworthy incident and
   vulnerability information. The summary includes pointers to sources of
   information for dealing with the problems.

   Past CERT summaries are available from

   http://www.cert.org/summaries/

Recent Activity

   Since the last regularly scheduled CERT summary, issued in May
   (CS-2000-02), we have published information on a vulnerability in
   rpc.statd on Linux systems, several ActiveX controls, vulnerabilities
   in Outlook and Outlook Express, security considerations for using chat
   software, hidden file extensions, and vulnerabilities in many FTP
   daemons.

    1. Input Validation Vulnerability in rpc.statd

       We have begun receiving multiple daily reports of sites being
       root compromised via a recently discovered vulnerability in
       rpc.statd. These issues are described in CERT Advisory
       CA-2000-17

        CERT Advisory CA-2000-17, Input Validation Problem in rpc.statd

       We have received a number of reports that indicate that intruders
       are performing widespread scanning for this vulnerability and
       using toolkits to automate the compromise of vulnerable machines.

    2. Multiple Vulnerabilities in FTP daemons

       The CERT/CC continues to receive regular reports of intruders
       probing for and exploiting vulnerabilities in many FTP server
       implementations. Sites are strongly encouraged to follow the
       advice contained in CA-2000-13 to protect systems running FTP
       servers.

        CERT Advisory CA-2000-13, Two Input Validation Problems In FTPD

       Additionally, we receive daily reports from sites indicating that
       intruders are scanning large network blocks for vulnerable FTP
       servers.

    3. ActiveX Control Vulnerabilities

       Exploitations of a vulnerability in the Scriptlet.Typelib
       ActiveX control are discussed in CERT Incident Note
       IN-2000-06. This vulnerability allows local files to be created
       or modified, and is used in viruses such as Bubbleboy and kak.

        CERT Incident Note IN-2000-06, Exploitation of
        "Scriptlet.Typelib" ActiveX Control
        http://www.cert.org/incident_notes/IN-2000-06.html

       Additionally, information about a serious vulnerability in the
       HHCtrl ActiveX control was published in CERT Advisory CA-2000-12.
       This vulnerability could allow remote intruders to execute
       arbitrary code.

        CERT Advisory CA-2000-12, HHCtrl ActiveX Control Allows Local
        Files to be Executed

    4. Exploitation of Hidden File extensions

       Attackers have used a number of malicious programs to exploit
       the default behavior of Windows operating systems to hide file
       extensions from the user.  This behavior can be used to trick
       users into executing malicious code by making a file appear to
       be something it is not.

        CERT Incident Note IN-2000-07, Exploitation of Hidden File
        Extensions
	http://www.cert.org/incident_notes/IN-2000-07.html

    5. Outlook and Outlook Express Cache Bypass Vulnerability

       A vulnerability in Microsoft Outlook and Outlook Express that
       can allow a remote attacker to read certain types of files on
       the user's machine is detailed in CERT Advisory CA-2000-14.

        CERT Advisory CA-2000-14, Microsoft Outlook and Outlook
        Express Cache Bypass Vulnerability

    6. Chat Clients and Network Security

       CERT Incident Note IN-2000-08 outlines the security issues
       inherent in the use of chat client software. We have published
       this information in response to inquiries about the risks this
       type of software poses to an organization.

        CERT Incident Note IN-2000-08, Chat Clients and Network
	Security
	http://www.cert.org/incident_notes/IN-2000-08.html

Expiration of CERT PGP keys

   On September 30, 2000, the operational CERT PGP keys will expire.
   Sites using these keys should be prepared to update their keyrings.