Archive of CERT general posting, CERT Advisory CA-99.07 - New Information regarding IIS

19/06/99, CERT Advisory CA-99.07 - New Information regarding IIS
From: CERT Advisory <cert-advisory@cert.org>

Generated by MHonArc

CSIM Logo WelcomeCourses
Faculty, Student, Staff
Projects and reports
Conferences, workshop and seminars
Laboratories and reasearch facilities
Information related to CSIM
Information non-related to CSIM
Address, map, phone, etc.

To: cert-advisory@coal.cert.org
Subject: CERT Advisory CA-99.07 - New Information regarding IIS
From: CERT Advisory <cert-advisory@cert.org>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 18:09:22 -0400

CERT Advisory CA-99-07 IIS Buffer Overflow

   Revised: June 18, 1999
   Originally released: June 16, 1999
   Source: CERT/CC

Note: This re-distribution of CA-99-07 contains new information
regarding variations of the IIS vulnerability that was widely reported
this week. In particular, we encourage sites to obtain and install the
patch that is available from Microsoft which addresses all of the
variations of this vulnerability.

Systems Affected

     * Machines running Microsoft Internet Information Server 4.0

I. Description

   Buffer overflow vulnerabilities affecting Microsoft Internet
   Information Server 4.0 have been discovered in several libraries,
   including libraries that handle .HTR, .STM, and .IDC files.

   A tool to exploit at least one of the vulnerabilities has been
   publicly released.

II. Impact

   These vulnerabilities allow remote intruders to execute arbitrary code
   with the privileges of the IIS server. Additionally, intruders can use
   this vulnerability to crash vulnerable IIS processes.

III. Solution

   Microsoft has released and updated Microsoft Security Bulletin
   MS99-019, which points to a patch for these vulnerabilities. We
   encourage you to read this bulletin, available from

   http://www.microsoft.com/security/bulletins/ms99-019.asp

   We will update this advisory as more information becomes available.
   Please check the CERT/CC Web site for the most current revision.

   Our thanks to Jason Garms and Scott Culp of Microsoft for providing
   information contained in this advisory.

   This document is available from:
   http://www.cert.org/advisories/CA-99-07-IIS-Buffer-Overflow.html.

CERT/CC Contact Information

   Email: cert@cert.org
          Phone: +1 412-268-7090 (24-hour hotline)
          Fax: +1 412-268-6989
          Postal address:
          CERT Coordination Center
          Software Engineering Institute
          Carnegie Mellon University
          Pittsburgh PA 15213-3890
          U.S.A.

   CERT personnel answer the hotline 08:00-20:00 EST(GMT-5) / EDT(GMT-4)
   Monday through Friday; they are on call for emergencies during other
   hours, on U.S. holidays, and on weekends.

Using encryption

   We strongly urge you to encrypt sensitive information sent by email.
   Our public PGP key is available from http://www.cert.org/CERT_PGP.key.
   If you prefer to use DES, please call the CERT hotline for more
   information.

Getting security information

   CERT publications and other security information are available from
   our web site http://www.cert.org/.

   To be added to our mailing list for advisories and bulletins, send
   email to cert-advisory-request@cert.org and include SUBSCRIBE
   your-email-address in the subject of your message.

   Copyright 1999 Carnegie Mellon University.
   Conditions for use, disclaimers, and sponsorship information can be
   found in http://www.cert.org/legal_stuff.html.

   * "CERT" and "CERT Coordination Center" are registered in the U.S.
   Patent and Trademark Office

   NO WARRANTY
   Any material furnished by Carnegie Mellon University and the Software
   Engineering Institute is furnished on an "as is" basis. Carnegie
   Mellon University makes no warranties of any kind, either expressed or
   implied as to any matter including, but not limited to, warranty of
   fitness for a particular purpose or merchantability, exclusivity or
   results obtained from use of the material. Carnegie Mellon University
   does not make any warranty of any kind with respect to freedom from
   patent, trademark, or copyright infringement.
   Revision History

June 16, 1999:  Initial release
June 18, 1999:  Added information about .STM and .IDC files.

Main Index

CSIM home pageWMailAccount managementCSIM LibraryNetwork test toolsSearch CSIM directories
Contact us: Olivier Nicole CSIM    SET    AIT Last update: Feb 2000